Some friends have asked what I’m reading as I prepare for this Holy Land pilgrimage. After my first trip to the Holy Land, my spiritual director recommended that I read James Martin’s Jesus: a Pilgrimage. Martin’s reflections on the life of Jesus as revealed in the modern day locations that he encountered on pilgrimage are just what I’m looking for as I get ready to return to the region. I’m also taking with me the guidebook that Martin used during his trip: Jerome Murphy_O’Connor’s The Holy Land: an Oxford Archaeological Guide. It has scholarly detail about many of the sites that we’ll be visiting. I suspect that we’ll pass it around the tour bus.
Cynthia prepared a longer list of titles, in addition to the above:
- The Bible, especially 1 & 2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Kings, the Gospels
- My Promised Land, by Avi Sharit
- Jerusalem, by Simon Sebag Montefiore
- The Lemon Tree, by Sandi Tolan
- The Secret Chord, by Geraldine Brooks (a fictional account of King David)